Dalgona candy. Dalgona candy, also known as ppopgi, is especially nostalgic for me. Every day, there was a man who sat out by the front gate of my elementary school, perched on a mini stool next to a small burner. "Squid Game" Dalgona Candy. Squid Game is an incredible (if not kind of terrifying) show that has many iconic moments.
After several attempts, even beginners will be able to persevere. With a small charcoal burner and single griddle, the ppopgi ajusshi was a street vendor who sold ppopgi candy (now known as dalgona candy). He would caramelize sugar in a soup ladle, pour it onto a griddle, flatten it and stamp a fun shape in the candy while it was hot. You can have Dalgona candy using 2 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Dalgona candy
- You need of sugar.
- You need of Baking soda.
Rub a thin sheen of oil on half of the paper. Dalgona was a sweet treat for kids, but it also provided a fun game: If the kid could remove the shape from the rest of the candy without breaking it, they were given another candy for free. "Kids were told by parents and teachers to shun junk food, especially those sold on the street," explains Dr. Jennifer Jung-Kim, Lecturer in the UCLA. Dalgona or Korean sponge candy is a fun Korean street food that will bring out the kid in you!! or at least in my husband… 🙂 With a sweet caramel flavor and a lightly crunchy but also melt-in-your-mouth texture, this is my husband's childhood favorite.
Dalgona candy step by step
- Add the sugar into your ladle and place over medium to low heat. Stir until it is entirely melted. Ps. Hold the ladle away from the flame if it cooks so fast..
- Add the pinch of baking soda into the melted sugar and mix until fully incorporated..
- Pour the honeycomb mixture onto a silicone mat or parchment paper. Immediately, use a saucepan or skillet base to flatten the mixture so that it has a flat and even surface..
- Quickly use an umbrella, triangle, circle or star cookie cutter and gently press a shape into the centre of the dalgona candy..
- Leave it to cool and enjoy!.
Lately, it's gained popularity due to this candy appearing in Netflix's Squid Game. A hospital has issued a warning to parents about the "Squid Game" dalgona candy-cooking method after treating three pediatric patients for severe burns. The uptick in dalgona candy injuries were. Dalgona candy is a sponge toffee-like sugar candy we grew up having from street vendors everywhere, especially around the schools. The word dalgona came from the casual Korean word "dalguna (달구나)" meaning "it's sweet." Squid Game Dalgona Candy is also a game that be played on a mobile phone, tablet, and computer.