Russian-style Pancakes (Gluten-Free). In a bowl, mix ricotta cheese, eggs, lemon juice and lemon zest. Add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix well. Heat a non-stick frying pan or griddle on medium heat.
That makes sense — but what blinis really are, are traditional earthly buckwheat pancakes. Our gluten-free version of Russian blinis was adapted from a recipe for Buckwheat Pancakes — Blinis which appears in the cookbook, Cook's Illustrated — The Best International Recipes. Melt the clarified butter in a non-stick frying pan. You can make Russian-style Pancakes (Gluten-Free) using 18 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Russian-style Pancakes (Gluten-Free)
- Prepare of For the pancakes:.
- It’s 425 grams of Riccota or strained cottage cheese.
- You need 2 of Eggs.
- You need 1 tsp of Lemon juice.
- You need 1 tsp of Grated lemon peel.
- You need 2 tbsp of Gluten-free flour or rice flour.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Beet sugar or other natural sweetener.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Baking powder.
- It’s 1/8 tsp of Salt.
- You need 1 tsp of Olive oil.
- Prepare of For the sauce:.
- Prepare 200 ml of Blueberries (fresh or frozen).
- It’s 1 tbsp of Water (if using fresh blueberries).
- It’s 1 tbsp of Lemon juice.
- It’s 1 1/3 tbsp of Beet sugar or your choice of natural sweetener.
- You need 1 tsp of Corn starch.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Water.
- You need 1 dash of Powdered sugar (for topping).
Spoon the batter into the frying pan, shape the blinis using the spoon. To make Russian pancakes gluten free, use the same amount of buckwheat flour. Beer or kefir can be substituted for milk. Use same amounts of dairy-free milk and a flax egg to make blini vegan.
Russian-style Pancakes (Gluten-Free) step by step
- Combine the cheese, eggs, lemon juice, and lemon peel in a bowl and mix..
- Mix in the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt..
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or griddle over medium heat. Add oil, then spread it evenly with a paper towel..
- Spoon the batter onto the griddle a little at a time until it reaches a diameter of about 8-10 cm..
- When the top surface cooks, flip it over, and cook the other side. These should take longer to bake than regular pancakes..
- While baking the pancakes, combine the blueberries, water (if using fresh berries), lemon juice, and sugar in a small saucepan..
- Heat over medium, and simmer until the blueberries loose their shape..
- Dissolve the corn starch in water, then pour into the saucepan..
- Once it thickens, turn off the heat..
- Arrange the pancakes on individual serving plates, sift powdered sugar through a tea strainer, then top with the blueberry sauce..
Melt a tablespoon of butter in a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Pick the pan up off the heat. Pour in a ladleful of batter while you rotate your wrist, tilting the pan so the batter makes a circle and coats the bottom. The blini should be very thin. Return the pan to the heat.