Salted Egg & Mongolian Buttermilk Crispy Chicken. Read Customer Reviews & Find Best Sellers. Salted eggs are native to Chinese and Filipino cuisines. The process traditionally calls for duck eggs, but you can use chicken eggs when duck eggs are unavailable.
A traditional delicacy of the Philippines. It is also known as 'itlog na pula' or red egg because it is usually dyed red. correct me if im mistaken but I think the traditional way of making this is by covering the egg in mud. We usually eat this with tomatoes, fish sauce, etc. You can make Salted Egg & Mongolian Buttermilk Crispy Chicken using 26 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Salted Egg & Mongolian Buttermilk Crispy Chicken
- You need 2 of boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite sizes.
- Prepare of Marinate ingredients.
- You need 1 of tbp Shaoxing Chinese rice wine.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of white pepper powder.
- You need 1 tsp of sesame oil.
- Prepare 1/2 of tbp brown sugar.
- You need of Deep fry ingredients.
- Prepare 2 of tbp self-raising flour.
- Prepare 2 of tbp sweet potato flour (coarse).
- It’s 2 of tbp rice flour.
- You need of Adequate water.
- You need of Adequate frying oil.
- You need of Sauce – Buttermilk.
- You need 200 ml of evaporated milk.
- You need 2 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 4 clove of garlic, chopped.
- You need 1 of tbp brown sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 2 branches of curry leaf.
- You need 2 of small red chili, chopped.
- You need of Sauce – Salted egg (add on to buttermilk sauce).
- You need 2 of salted egg yolk, hard boiled and mashed.
- Prepare of Sauce – Mongolian (add on to buttermilk sauce).
- It’s 2 of tbp sweet chilli sauce.
- You need 1/2 tsp of black pepper powder (coarse).
They are traditionally made with duck eggs for a richer taste and texture. The egg white has a sharp salty taste and the yolk is rich and fatty. They are often boiled and eaten as a condiment with congee or used as a flavoring to other foods. Homemade Salted Eggs using only chicken or duck eggs, kosher salt, Shao Hsing cooking wine, and water.
Salted Egg & Mongolian Buttermilk Crispy Chicken step by step
- Marinate Make sure the chicken pieces are dry and marinate them for at least 30 mins..
- Deep fry Mixture A: Mix self-raising flour with enough water until it gets a bit thick. Mixture B: Mix rice flour and sweet potato flour together. Rice flour is to absorb moisture. Dip all the marinated chicken pieces into mixture A and mix it well. Roll the chicken pieces into mixture B. Shake it off and put it into another bowl. Leave it for 10 mins..
- Deep fry Heat up frying oil and deep fry the chicken pieces with small-medium fire until golden brown. Drain excess oil on grill tray. Deep fry second time quickly with big fire for a few seconds to get the crispy taste..
- Sauce Melt the butter in a pan with medium fire and stir fry garlic, curry leaves and red chili till fragrant. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer sauce with small fire to the thickness you want. When the sauce is ready, off the fire. Pour the fried chicken pieces and mix it well..
The hardest part is the waiting. Salted Eggs are preserved eggs packed in salted charcoal paste or soaked in brine. You can find them at Asian grocery stores either covered in a thick, black layer of paste or vacuum packed in plastic. Commercial salted eggs or itlog na maalat are made by "brining" fresh duck eggs in mud made of equal parts clay and salt moistened with water. The salted duck eggs I come across here recently almost have the salted paste removed, wrapped in plastic, or vacuum packed.