Pasta con le sarde espressa. Great recipe for Pasta con le sarde espressa. Pasta con le sarde (sardines) is a trademark recipe from Palermo. It's simple Sicilian ingredients infused with Arab influences, and it's just so delicious.
Whisk together half of the green onion and half of the anchovies in oil. Add the pine nuts and finely chopped fennel. As soon as the mixture comes to a boil, turn off the heat and add the sardines and raisins. You can make Pasta con le sarde espressa using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you make that.
Ingredients of Pasta con le sarde espressa
- Prepare 2 of small fennels.
- You need 2 of anchovies.
- Prepare 1 tin of sardines (usually 3-4 sardines).
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic.
- Prepare 1 of chilli (optional).
- You need 1 pinch of saffron (optional).
- It’s 1 of big handful of raisins.
- You need 8-10 of cherry tomatoes (or 2 large tomatoes).
- It’s 200 g of fresh pasta (or 150g dried).
- It’s 1 handful of breadcrumbs.
If there is one recipe that sums up all of Sicily for me, it has to be pasta with wild fennel and sardines. Pasta con le sarde (pasta with sardines) is a dish so subtle, mysterious and harmonious. Pasta con le Sarde-Feast of the Seven Fishes. Whatever this is "Pasta con le Sarde" it ain't.
Pasta con le sarde espressa instructions
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil for the pasta as usual. Slice the bulbs of the fennel in thin rounds; keep aside the fluffy tips for later..
- Add the fennel, chilli, saffron, garlic and anchovies to a pan with the oil and fry for a few minutes. Once the fennel starts to soften and the anchovies start to dissolve, add the raisins. After another minute or so, add the sardines and the chopped tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes tossing frequently..
- Remove from heat. Cook the pasta (these are homemade chestnut and wholemeal pappardelle); in the meantime, chop the fennel tips finely..
- Drain the pasta al dente and combine it with sauce in the pan. Add the chopped fennel tips and the breadcrumbs..
Noodles with anchovies perhaps but the real Pasta con le Sarde is a dish with centuries of Sicilian heritage and deserves better. Pasta con le sarde (pasta with sardines) is arguably Sicily on a plate; full of fresh seafood, the island's native wild fennel and North African influences of raisins and pine nuts. Serve up with a crisp glass of white wine and you could almost be there. Wild fennel grows abundantly in Sicily but is difficult to find in the United Kingdom. Remove the crumbs from the pan and toss with.