Shakshuka. Shakshuka has risen in popularity around the world, and with good reason. Originally from North Africa and the Middle East, this flavorful dish of eggs cooked in a spicy tomato sauce is tasty. Shakshuka is an easy, healthy breakfast (or any time of day) recipe in Israel and other parts of the Middle East and North Africa.
Shakshuka leftovers will keep for seven days in the fridge, so plan on doubling the recipe to use throughout the week! What are some variations of this shakshuka recipe? Try replacing the Sriracha with cayenne pepper, depending on the spice level that you want. You can have Shakshuka using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you make it.
Ingredients of Shakshuka
- It’s 1 of medium red bell pepper, diced.
- It’s 2 of medium white onion, diced.
- You need 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1 tsp of cumin powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of each of sweet paprika and hot paprika (or 2 tsp paprika and about 1/4 tsp of chili powder, depending on how hot you want the dish to be).
- It’s 2 of canned (400 g) chopped tomatoes.
- It’s 6 of eggs (depending on how many your sauce pan can fit).
- It’s of Olive oil.
- It’s of to taste Salt and pepper.
- You need of Feta cheese and cilantro to garnish.
Cayenne is the traditional heat source for shakshuka. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add the canned tomatoes, paprika and jalapenos; stir, using the back of a spoon to break up the tomatoes. Stir in the olive oil, garlic, onion and salt.
- In a sauce pan, add olive oil and saute onion and red bell pepper for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly until the onion have softened..
- Add the garlic and spices. Saute for about 1 minutes until fragrant..
- Add the canned tomatoes and stir. Bring to a gentle simmer until the sauce have reduced. Taste and season with salt and pepper..
- Once the sauce have reduced, make a well on the sauce and cracked the egg on each well. Cover the pan for 6-8 minutes or until the egg is done to your liking..
- Garnish with feta cheese crumbs and a generous amount of chopped cilantro. Serve immediate with bread..
Cook until the garlic begins to. Not only is it fun to say, but shakshuka eggs is one of my favorite vegetarian dishes of all time. Made of every-day ingredients–eggs, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, and garlic–this dish is healthy, satisfying, and packed with flavor. The shakshuka concept is very simple. Eggs are soft cooked atop a bed of thick reduced tomato sauce with peppers.