Green Shakshuka. Add zucchini and green onions, then season with salt and pepper. Shakshuka is a Middle Eastern and Mediterranean dish of eggs poached in a sauce with spices, served for breakfast, brunch, or even sometimes lunch. Although the most common version includes tomatoes and peppers in the sauce, vibrant green versions are also popular.
Shakshuka, or eggs poached in an aromatic tomato sauce, is a fast, one-pan breakfast staple in Northern Africa and Israel. This healthy recipe features spinach, herbs and tomatillos. Garnish with a touch of harissa–a fiery chile paste–and dip some toasted whole-grain country bread into the jammy yolks. You can have Green Shakshuka using 11 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you make that.
Ingredients of Green Shakshuka
- You need 2 tbsp of Olive oil.
- It’s 1 of Onion.
- You need 1 of Fennel.
- It’s 1 of Jalapeno.
- Prepare 2 cloves of Garlic.
- You need Handful of Spinach or kale.
- You need 10 g of Cilantro.
- Prepare 10 g of Dill.
- You need 10 g of Parsley.
- It’s 4 of Eggs.
- You need 150 g of Feta cheese.
Traditionally, a shakshuka is a mixture of simmering tomato sauce and spices, topped with gently poached eggs. Within the tomato sauce there's diced onions, garlic and bell peppers. Remove lid and sprinkle with half of cheese. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
Green Shakshuka step by step
- Sauté the vegetables. Heat oil in a large skillet, then sauté onion, fennel, jalapeño, and garlic. Flavor with spices. Season with Aleppo pepper, Za’atar, and ground cumin. Add vegetables. To the pan, add chopped Swiss chard and fresh herbs (cilantro, dill, parsley), then season with Kosher salt and black pepper. Pour in stock. Add stock (or water), then cover the pan and allow the greens to cook down for a few minutes. Stir in cheese. Add and stir in crumbled feta cheese..
- Add eggs. Make wells for the eggs, then carefully crack one into each. Season the eggs with Kosher salt and pepper. Bake the shakshuka. Transfer the skillet to a preheated oven, then bake for 5-7 minutes, or until whites are just set and egg yolks are still runny. Finish the shakshuka and serve.
Remove shakshuka from stove and lightly season with salt and pepper. LINE a sheet tray with foil. PEEL husks away from tomatillos, RINSE them, and PLACE them on tray. REMOVE from oven and let cool slightly. QUARTER tomatillos, and ADD to blender with.