Egg Shakshuka. Shakshuka has risen in popularity around the world, and with good reason. Originally from North Africa and the Middle East, this flavorful dish of eggs cooked in a spicy tomato sauce is tasty. In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the red onion and saute for a minute or two, or until soft. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant. You can have Egg Shakshuka using 13 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Egg Shakshuka
- It’s 4 of Eggs – white/brown.
- You need 1 of White Onion – finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 of Red Pepper -finally chopped.
- Prepare 3 of large Tomatoes – blanched & coarsely grinders.
- It’s 3-4 cloves of Garlic – finely chopped.
- You need 3 tablespoon of Oil.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of Butter.
- It’s 2 tablespoon of Tomato Purée.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of Paprika Powder.
- It’s 2 tsp of Sugar.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- It’s of Parsley – finely chopped.
- You need of Feta cheese – for garnish.
The best baked eggs in the world – Shakshuka! A Middle Eastern and North African dish traditionally served up for breakfast or lunch, this can be made entirely on the stove or finished in the oven. However, bread for dunking/mopping is not optional! Egg shakshuka is a simple one-skillet dish of gently poached eggs in a tasty mixture of simmering tomatoes, green peppers, onions and garlic.
Egg Shakshuka instructions
- In a non-stick pan, add the oil & butter together. Next add the finely chopped white onion. Sauté it until it turns golden in colour. Then add the garlic and red pepper. Sauté until the mixture turns soft..
- After that add the tomato purée, this helps give a perfect red colour to the dish. Add the blanched tomato. Make sure there are small chunks of tomato after grinding, not to make a fine paste..
- Now add the paprika powder, sugar and salt according to your taste. Close the lid and let it cook on low flame for 5-7 mins. Make sure to stir it every 2 minutes in between..
- After the mixture is cooked, make small round wholes on four corners of the pan. Pour in the eggs and let it then cook according to preference. For partly cooked eggs (runny yolk) leave it for 4 mins and, for fully cooked eggs (hard boiled) leave it for 8 mins..
- Remove the pan from the flame. Garnish it with fresh chopped parsley and chunks feta cheese. Serve it with garlic or pita bread..
A few spices are added, and they may vary slightly from one recipe to another. Shakshuka is an easy, healthy breakfast (or any time of day) recipe in Israel and other parts of the Middle East and North Africa. It's a simple combination of simmering tomatoes, onions, garlic, spices and gently poached eggs. It's nourishing, filling and one recipe I guarantee you'll make time and again. Shakshuka is so filling that I generally plan on only a single egg per person (with a couple of extras just in case), but if you want to serve two eggs per person, I'd suggest putting two eggs into each slightly enlarged well, rather than trying to fit twice as many individual eggs into separate wells.