Shakshouka Israeli Breakfast. In Israel the word shakshuka is synonymous with breakfast. It's best with a slice or two of challah bread to sop up the juices. This is a version of my dad's recipe, except that he used to mix the eggs together, because my older sister refused to eat the egg whites.
The dish is a mix of crushed tomatoes cooked down to a thick sauce and dotted with eggs which are then allowed to simmer in the mix, and usually includes some fried onions, garlic, tons of paprika, and a dash of hot peppers or cumin for extra flavor. Add the fresh chopped tomatoes, cook until they are breaking apart. With a slotted spoon, add the chunkiest parts of the contents of the "Pomi" – the majority of the sauce should remain in the carton. You can have Shakshouka Israeli Breakfast using 13 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you make that.
Ingredients of Shakshouka Israeli Breakfast
- It’s 10 of Ripe Tomatoes.
- It’s 1 of Med White Onion.
- It’s 4 of garlic cloves.
- Prepare 1 of Jalapeno.
- You need 1 of Red Bell Pepper.
- You need 1 of Sprig thyme.
- You need 1 of Cumin to taste.
- You need 1 of Chili Powder to taste.
- You need 1 of Salt and Pepper to taste.
- It’s 1 of Paprika to taste.
- You need 1 of Oregano to taste.
- You need 4 of Eggs.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Olive Oil.
Shakshuka is a popular dish that was introduced to Israel primarily by Jewish immigrants from Tunisia. It is egg and tomato based, so it is a favorite for breakfast (like heuvos rancheros), but many also have it for lunch or dinner. The best part is scooping up the sauce with a fresh pita bread or warm crusty bread. Israeli Shakshuka is a court originating from North Africa, which has gained the status of a national court in Israel.
Shakshouka Israeli Breakfast instructions
- Chop onion, and peppers to desired size. Add oil to cast iron pan, turn heat on high. Add onions and peppers before oil starts to smoke. Turn heat down to medium and cook for 5 minutes..
- Cut tomatoes into quarters and mince garlic. Add tomatoes, garlic, herbs and spices to pan, turn heat to medium low, cover and cook for thirty minutes. This will blend all the flavors together..
- Preheat oven to 350 while the mixture is cooking for the thirty minutes. Once this is done, carefully break the eggs on top of the mixture. Place cast iron pan into the oven, cook until eggs have reached desired consistency. I love my yoke runny so I only left them in the oven for about 10 minutes or less..
- Once out of the oven, let cool for 5 minutes and serve. It's also delicious with warm Naan..
In Israel, it is a typical breakfast dish, which is traditionally prepared from tomatoes, eggs, chilies and onions in a pan. In this recipe, I will show you how to prepare the Israeli shakshuka egg dish. Shakshuka is an Israeli breakfast staple consists of poached eggs in a tomato stew, usually spiced with paprika and cumin. It's often served in a skillet. Throughout the Mediterranean and Middle East, you'll also find variations of the egg dish.