Savory French Toast. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, Parmesan, chives and pepper; pour over bread. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Dip both sides of each slice of bread in the egg mixture and place in the skillet.
Layer with remaining bread and egg mixture. Dip both sides of the bread slices into the egg mixture, shake off the excess egg mixture, then place the bread in the skillet. Remove from heat and repeat with remaining bread slices. You can have Savory French Toast using 11 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Savory French Toast
- It’s 6 slice of sandwich bread.
- It’s 4 slice of cheese – mozzarella and/or cheddar.
- Prepare 6 of egg whites.
- You need 2 tbsp of coriander.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of garlic chives finely chopped.
- You need 1 each of deseeded birds-eye chilli.
- You need 1 pinch of sea salt.
- You need 1/2 tsp of crushed black pepper.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of oil.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic.
- You need 3 tbsp of oil to shallow fry the toast.
Meanwhile, in a large shallow dish, whisk together eggs, cream, and chives; season with salt and pepper. Lay bread in a single layer in egg mixture and. Add in the eggs and whisk for a minute. A savory twist on the classic french toast.
Savory French Toast instructions
- Place 2 cheese slices in a stack of three slices of sandwich bread and place it in the refrigerator..
- Blitz the rest of the ingredients except the egg whites and the oil reserved to fry..
- Whisk egg whites until its nice and frothy with sort peaks..
- Add the paste from the blender and mix well..
- Heat a non-stick pan, add a dash of oil..
- Take the bread slices from the fridge, dip it in the egg wash..
- Place the bread carefully on the pan until it turns a beautiful brown. Turn the toast and let it cook on the other side. Seal it along all four corners..
- Remove from pan and cut the toast lengthwise into 2 -3 pieces, depending on the size of the slices..
- Serve hot with a hot chilli sauce or honey mustard or sweet chilli sauce or just plain ketchup..
- One could butter the slices if they wish or even use any of the sauces while making the toast..
- Play around with any cheese you prefer. Plain, flavored …
We added some fresh herbs and other flavorful savory ingredients to our batter. The result is a delicious breakfast or brunch dish, topped with a perfectly fried egg with a runny yolk. But there are lots of savory toppings for French toast that make this dish perfect even for a weeknight dinner. French toast – called pain perdu in French – is a classic breakfast most people usually serve with a sweet topping, like jam, maple syrup, honey, or a combo of cream cheese and fresh fruit. A thick piece of this savory French toast can be eaten on its own for a snack, but if this is dinner, I pile it high with raw vegetables.