Filipino chicken adobo. Combine the chicken thighs, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, peppercorns and bay leaves in a large pot. What does chicken adobo taste like? Chicken adobo is a very flavorful dish with a mildly sweet, tangy garlic and soy flavor.
Heat oil in a medium heavy saucepan over medium. Add chicken, reserving marinade, and cook, turning occasionally and adjusting heat to medium-low if needed, until skin starts to brown and. Chicken Adobo is a type of Filipino chicken stew. You can have Filipino chicken adobo using 15 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you make it.
Ingredients of Filipino chicken adobo
- It’s Half of a chicken, cut into 4 parts.
- Prepare 100 ml of water.
- It’s 100 ml of Cane vinegar.
- It’s 100 ml of dark soy sauce.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of cumin powder.
- You need 1 pc of leaf bay.
- Prepare 6 cloves of garlic.
- You need 1 of small shallot.
- It’s 80 g of white scallion.
- It’s 10 g of ginger.
- It’s 5 pc of chilli labuyo.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of grated coconut.
- It’s 3 Tbsp of achiote seeds.
- It’s 125 ml of canola oil.
- Prepare of Salt and pepper to taste.
Chicken pieces are marinated in soy sauce and spices, pan-fried, and stewed until tender. The dish gained popularity because of its delicious taste and ease in preparation. Filipino Chicken Adobo is the national dish of the Philippines and like all traditional dishes, there are many variations – including different proteins like pork and beef. Fundamentally though, the key ingredients are the right balance of soy sauce, vinegar, black pepper and sugar that create an incredibly sticky glaze that has a depth of.
Filipino chicken adobo step by step
- Marinate chicken in 80ml soy sauce, 80ml vinegar, 80ml water and 1tbsp cumin powder. Best to marinate over night..
- Coarsely chop garlic and onion..
- In a pan, add achiote oil and sauté garlic and onion until translucent..
- Add in the chicken from the marinade and sear until it starts to brown..
- Add in the marinade and simmer for 30 mins..
- While simmering prepare palapa condiment. In a mortar and pestle – grind chopped chillis, ginger, white scallion and grated coconut..
- Sauté for 30 seconds just until aroma comes out. Set aside.
- To make the fried garlic, mince garlic and fry on achiote oil until browned and crispy. Set aside..
- To make achiote oil, in a sauce pan mix together 125ml oil, 1 clove garlic and 3tbsp achiote seeds. Cook in a slow fire until oil turns red and aroma comes out..
- Once adobo liquid has thickened, add in 20ml soy sauce and 20ml vinegar and simmer a little bit more until desired consistency..
- Plate and garnish with fried garlic and palapa. Finish by dripping in achiote oil..
Adobo is a simple and hearty Filipino dish. In this version, chicken is marinated in vinegar and soy sauce, then slowly cooked with garlic and spices. Chicken adobo is one of the most popular Filipino recipes, other than lumpia and pancit. There are many ways to cook adobo, for example: you can make it with a slow cooker or crock pot chicken adobo, but cooking it on the stove top with a skillet is quick and easy. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.