Sambar (without dal). Recently I came across this Instant sambar recipe for idli, dosa without dal, vegetables and coconut in Papa's kitchen YouTube video. We can call this as Dhidir sambar or pottukadalai sambar in Tamil. Its a very easy and simple sambar recipe with pottukadalai (Fried gram dal in English) , fennel seeds, onion and tomato as major ingredients.
Grind the roasted items along with grated coconut into fine paste. In a pan put oil and keep on medium flame. Put mustard seeds when it splutters add chopped onion and fry till golden brown. You can make Sambar (without dal) using 13 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you make it.
Ingredients of Sambar (without dal)
- Prepare 250 grams of boiled Shakarkandi(Sweet potato).
- It’s 1 of medium cup freshly grated coconut.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of of roasted methi seeds(fenugreek seeds).
- It’s 1 table spoon of grated gud(jaggery).
- You need 1 teaspoon of rai (mustard).
- Prepare 5-6 of dried red chillies.
- Prepare as per taste of Salt.
- It’s 2 pinches of hing(asefetoda).
- It’s 1 tea spoon of ghee.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of of haldi(turmeric).
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of of jeera.(cumin seeds).
- You need 1small cup of of curry leaves and daniya (coriander leaves).
- It’s 2 tablespoons of of imli pulp(tamarind pulp).
Add in mustard, urad dal, asafoetida and curry leaves. Let it sizzle for a min or so. Add in onions and green chillies along with some salt. Add in tomatoes and mix well.
Sambar (without dal) instructions
- In a blender, grind coconut, dry roasted methi seeds, red chillies, turmeric and half a teaspoon of mustard. Make a fine paste adding water..
- Heat a pan. Add ghee. Once ghee is hot, add mustard seeds jeera and hing. Then add the boiled sweet potatoes. Add tamarind pulp and cook it for five minutes. Then add the above paste. Add water accordingly.Add jaggery and salt according to taste. Cook it for about 10 minutes. Add curry leaves and dhaniya leaves.Switch off the flame..
- You can serve it with rice, rotis, chapathis, idli and dosa. Good for winters..
Add in sambar powder and mix well. Pour in water and bring it to a boil. Wash and chop vegetables, onion, tomato and set aside. Roast chana dal, coriander seeds, red chilli, methi seeds, cumin seeds, raw rice in low flame till nice aroma arises. Heat pan with oil add mustard seeds, Bengal gram, urad dal and onion sauté well then add dry red chilli and curry leaves.