Asian-style Spaghetti Aglio e Olio with Coriander. Great recipe for Asian-style Spaghetti Aglio e Olio with Coriander. I love pasta so I have enjoyed making different dishes. When I had Thai food this idea occurred to me so I tried cooking something up.
Pasta aglio e olio is a well known pasta dish, originally from Naples, and adding prawns makes it just that more enjoyable. This recipe is a tweak to the traditional garlic and parsley, swapping out some of the usual ingredients and giving it an ever so slight a hint of Asia, without overtly straying too far from a classic easy pasta dish you can throw together quickly any night of the week. Place the olive oil, garlic, chillies and salt in a pot. You can have Asian-style Spaghetti Aglio e Olio with Coriander using 12 ingredients and 20 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Asian-style Spaghetti Aglio e Olio with Coriander
- You need 100 grams of Pasta (I used linguine).
- It’s 40 ml of Extra virgin olive oil.
- You need 1 of to 2 cloves A. Garlic (chopped roughly).
- Prepare 1 of A. Red chili pepper (sliced).
- You need 1 of A. Prawns (peeled and deveined).
- You need 1 of Coriander.
- It’s 40 ml of White wine.
- You need 2 1/2 ml of Thai fish sauce.
- It’s 1/4 of to 1/2 teaspoon Plain flour.
- You need 1 of Salt and pepper.
- You need 1 of Black pepper (optional).
- You need 1 of Lemon juice (optional).
Cook the spaghetti according to instructions given on the packet. When you put the spaghetti in boiling water and are timing it, get started on the sauce. Place the pot with oil, garlic and chillies, with the lid on, on a very low heat. The idea is to cook the garlic very gently.
Asian-style Spaghetti Aglio e Olio with Coriander step by step
- Prepare the A ingredients as instructed above..
- Chop the stems of the coriander finely and cut the leafy parts roughly. Omit the coriander if you don't like it..
- Put the plain flour in a measuring cup..
- Pour 3 L of water into a large pot and bring to a boil. Just before it comes to a boil add 2 tablespoons of salt (it should come to 1% of the entire pot of water)..
- The amount of salt in the pasta cooking water is important to the resultant dish so measure precisely. When the water comes to the a turn the heat to low and leave to stand..
- Put the olive oil, garlic and sliced red chili pepper in a cold frying pan. Heat over a low heat slowly until fragrant..
- Once the garlic turns golden brown and fragrant add the prawns. Salt and pepper..
- Turn the heat to medium-low and add the white wine and fish sauce. Cover with a lid quickly and steam the prawns..
- Meanwhile add the pasta to the water from Step 4 and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta 30 seconds to 1 minute earlier than the package instruction says. Cook the pasta over a low heat..
- After the prawns have cooked through add coriander stems from Step 2. Stir quickly..
- Add 50 ml of the water you used to cook the pasta to Step 3. Add this to Step 10's pan and cook over a medium heat for 15 seconds to emulsify the sauce..
- [Note] Emulsifying the sauce is important. At home you cook a small amount of pasta so you cannot get enough starch to emulsify the sauce..
- By adding the flour the resultant sauce will have the right consistency. You will have a restaurant-quality sauce at home..
- Turn the heat to low-high and add the drained pasta. Stir well..
- I like it as it is but add more rock salt (not listed in the ingredients) if necessary..
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with coriander leaves. Sprinkle with lemon juice and black pepper to your liking..
- Prawns sautéed in white wine and fish sauce really give this dish an exquisite taste. And combined with the coriander stalks just further adds to it..
- If you don't mind fish sauce or coriander I really recommend this Asian-style spaghetti aglio e oilo..
- Here's my Basic Spaghetti aglio e olio..
- is a spaghetti aglio e olio with anchovies. This is nice too..
Add the pasta and the reserved water to the garlic mixture. Add the parsley and lemon zest. Aglio e Olio if literally translated would be 'garlic and olive oil' so we know that the two main ingredients involved in this dish are garlic and olive oil. It is a simple dish but personally, I think the best partner for garlic is something hot like peppers or chilies. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is golden.